Skip to main content

Academy Awards 2017 winners list and my predictions picks

Well, due to a busy professional and academic agenda I wasn't able to cover the final Oscar race. But believe me or not, I was predicting Moonlight to win Best Picture... Yeah, you can call me a fraud because everyone was pointing La La Land to win, but truth be told, predicting Moonlight was obvious: the only way to shut up the racism talking surrounding the AMPAS and the only way to send a clear message to Donal Trump.

Here are the Oscars 2017 winners' list alongside my personal predictions:

BEST PICTURE
  • WINNER: Moonlight
  • MY PICK: Moonlight


BEST DIRECTOR
I was not expecting the Academy to go for such a young director, to be honest. Chazelle was the champion of the precursor awards season in the Best Director category, but Oscar voters tend to be very strict about the age factor so that why I was predicting Moonlight's director, Barry Jenkins, to take the trophy home.
  • WINNER: La La Land — Damien Chazelle
  • MY PICK: Moonlight - Barry Jenkins


BEST ACTOR
  • WINNER: Casey Affleck — Manchester by the Sea
  • MY PICK: Casey Affleck - Manchester by the Sea


BEST ACTRESS
Now that I'm looking at my personal picks, I think I must be the dumbest Oscar predictions folk in history... I mean, I was predicting La La Land to lose both Best Picture and Best Director... and Best Actress! Maybe it was too much wishful thinking by picking Isabelle Huppert for Elle instead of Emma Stone for La La Land, but I really describe Stone's performance as "pure  charm" while Huppert is "extraordinary/perfect/magnetic/astonishing" (and I thought Huppert's Golden Globe win was a sign).
  • WINNER: Emma Stone — La La Land
  • MY PICK: Isabelle Huppert — Elle


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
  • WINNER: Mahershala Ali — Moonlight
  • MY PICK: Mahershala Ali - Moonlight


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
  • WINNER: Viola Davis — Fences
  • MY PICK: Viola Davis - Fences

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
  • WINNER: Moonlight
  • MY PICK: Moonlight


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
  • WINNER: Manchester by the Sea
  • MY PICK: Manchester by the Sea


BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Zootopia was considered the lead of the Best Animated Feature Film almost since the day it was released, but consedering some key awards Kubo and the Two Strings took home during precursor awards season and the late Oscar traction and heavy campaign for this one (alongside its recognition in the Best Visual Effects category) I thought the big win would go for Kubo. I was wrong: overthinking, for sure!
  • WINNER: Zootopia
  • MY PICKKubo and the Two Strings


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
  • WINNER: La La Land
  • MY PICK: La La Land


BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
  • WINNER: O.J. Made in America
  • MY PICK: O.J. Made in America


BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
  • WINNER: The White Helmets
  • MY PICK: The White Hemets


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
  • WINNER: La La Land
  • MY PICK: La La Land


BEST ORIGINAL SONG
  • WINNER: "City of Stars" — La La Land
  • MY PICK: "City of Stars" - La La Land


BEST FOREIGN PICTURE
My final choice was between The Salesman and Toni Erdmann: the opportunity of having a victim of the Trump regime taking the Oscar home versus the most awarded foreign picture of the year which is going to have its Hollywood adaptation. I went for the German submission.
  • WINNER: The Salesman
  • MY PICK: Toni Erdmann


BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM
  • WINNERPiper
  • MY PICK: Piper


BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
  • WINNER: Sing
  • MY PICK: Sing (I confess this pick was pure luck and not a rational pick)


BEST COSTUME DESIGN
There was a La La Land fever in Hollywood and I though the Academy would go for those gorgeous costumes that proved "simplicity is beautiful" or "less is more". My second choice was Jackie, specially having in mind the funeral parade that was like a fashion show... I would never predict Fantastic Beasts to win. A total surprise to me!
  • WINNER: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • MY PICK: La La Land


BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING
  • WINNER: Suicide Squad
  • MY PICK: Suicide Squad (and I'm serious: if the Academy nominated one of the worst movies of the year it was because they really loved the makeup work for sure!)


BEST SOUND EDITING
I thought Hacksaw Ridge had this one in the bag thanks to the incredible sound work during the battle scenes... but Arrival is fine, too! 
  • WINNER: Arrival
  • MY PICK: Hacksaw Ridge


BEST SOUND MIXING
  • WINNER: Hacksaw Ridge
  • MY PICK: Hacksaw Ridge


BEST FILM EDITING
  • WINNER: Hacksaw Ridge
  • MY PICK: Hacksaw Ridge


BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
  • WINNER: La La Land
  • MY PICK: La La Land


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
  • WINNERThe Jungle Book
  • MY PICK: The Jungle Book


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOP 35 Actors and Actresses Under 35 Working Today - 2017

The almost annual TOP 35 Actors and Actresses Under 35 Working Today is out, with me considering the performers' performances of 2016 also. We have a few changes since last year's list, with Greta Gerwig toping the list thanks to her last 3 great performances in Mistress America , Maggie's Plan and the Oscar buzzy acting turn in 20th Century Women . Scarlett Johansson comes second with her latest distinguished performance being in 2014 ( Under the Skin ), but she managed to be at the spotligh this year thanks to her fine turns in critically acclaimed movies: Hail, Caesar! , Captain America: Civil War , The Jungle Book (voice) and Sing (voice). Emily Blunt adds another great performance to her resume in The Girl on the Train and she comes third, while Elle Fanning 's turning into one of the finest actresses and she's getting to play more adult and complex parts like The Neon Demon  and 20th Century Women 's (her two best performances since Super 8 ). Finall

TOP 10 Most Promising Movie Actors (under 30)

Today I discussed about how awful some "teen icons" are and then we talked about some exceptions. So, I decided to make a little list, a TOP 10, with the male actors that I think that will become music in an ocean of noise somewhere in the future (I did one list before, but it was a little bit pathetic and I didn't justify my choices). Let's start... 1 - Ryan Gosling He may not have a huge list of movies in his body of work, but the few times he makes something, all the time he almost carries the movie. In fact, Gosling is a proof that talent does exist and that you don't need excentrical characters to receive raves. He rose to fame after the big screen adaptation of The Notebook (2004) and then received lots of critical praise for his performances in movies like Half Nelson (that gave him an Oscar, a SAG Award and other major awards nominations), Lars and the Real Girl (that gave him a Golden Globe, a SAG Award and other major awards nominations) and Fractur

TOP 35 Actors and Actresses with or under 35 years old: 2018

I think it was my TOP 35 under 35 list I've ever done since I remember: so many great performers emerged last year with distinguished performances that elevated their previous works (I'm talking about Elizabeth Olsen , Lucas Hedges , Robert Pattinson , Gaspard Ulliel , Tessa Thompson or Jamie Bell , for example). I'm kinda sad I felt "forced" at letting Jonah Hill ( Moneyball and The Wolf of Wall Street ) and Emma Watson ( The Perks of Being a Wallflower , The Bling Ring and 2017's Beauty and the Beast ) out of the list. Congratulations to Kirsten Dunst , who turned 35 last year so she can not be included in this year's list - such an amazing child actress turned movie star, who delivered memorable performances in Interview with the Vampire (1994), The Virgin Suicides (1999), The Cat's Meow (2002) or Melancholia (2011). This year, Saoirse Ronan tops the list thanks to two great performances: On Chesil Beach and an iconic acting turn in Lad